Sunday 28 June 2009

How can I let this week pass without mentioning the sad loss of Michael Jackson.

Never having been what I'd call a real devoted fan, I've found myself looking back and realizing how much of his music is etched in my memories; fond times with people I love - what I call 'magic moments'.

It is a rare gift to have written and sung the soundtrack to so many people's most special times, and that for me will be Michael Jackson's lasting legacy. Some of my magic moments and best memories of Michael's music include:

  • Christmas 1979 in New York dancing to 'Rock With You'.
  • Seeing the 'moonwalk' for the very first time.
  • Watching the TV premier of 'Thriller'.
  • Rushing home from school as a teenager to watch 'The Jackson 5' TV show.
  • Michael singing 'ABC' as a youngster... the list just goes on.

Of course, I've been shocked by the 'Wacko Jacko' persona through the years, and even though I'm sure some of it was 'smoke and mirrors', some more of it was probably true.

However, what he gave us was wonderful music, great entertainment, and a few surprises along the way, though maybe what he lost (or at least missed out on along the way) was his childhood and youth, real friendship, and knowing what it was like to grow up into the person he never became - a truly adult Michael Jackson.

It seems he paid a very heavy price for his fame.

I'm sure the sideshows to his life will carry on in the shape of courtroom dramas, speculation of what really happened at the end, not-to-mention trying to discover who the real Michael Jackson really was.

However, best of all we're left with his music.I hope you're lucky enough to have some of his music as a soundtrack to one or two of your own magic moments.

'Thank you, Michael - God bless'.

No comments: