Friday 30 April 2010

Networking Skills (Part 2)

Thank you to those people who have emailed me directly since I began this Networking thread, it certainly seems to have struck a chord. Please keep your feedbacks coming, my email address is listed and I'm always happy to hear directly from you. You may have also noticed you're now able to leave thoughts, questions and ideas at the end of each post. This is a new addition to my Blog, so please also make use of this facility. I promise, your questions and feedback here will be an inspiration to other readers, and for that I thank you in advance.

So, the next step towards improving your networking skills; and something most of us have, EMAIL.

Who have you met with, been interested in, or inspired by at a networking event or meeting – or even better they've said how they'd like to keep in touch with you, but then for whatever reason it just didn't happen? I know this happens with the business card collectors amongst us! A good intention can so quickly become an overwhelming pile of never followed-up leads.

So now here's the thing; you need to get back in touch with them. Put together an email, or better still a letter that re-establishes the connection. Remind them where you met and what you talked about - and if you can't remember simply be honest and say something along the lines of 'I know we've met in a business networking situation recently/or not too distant past…'

Honesty, even when you may have been remiss in keeping touch, is such a refreshing and attractive characteristic. Use it, and immediately you set yourself apart.

Be prepared to follow up with another email/letter/or telephone call if they haven't responded within a week or so, and if they ultimately choose not to reconnect at least you gave it your best shot.

My personal experience has usually shown that for every one person that doesn't get back to you, two or three people will; and in business that's a great result!

Get to grips with your email follow-ups, and I'll Blog again in a few days with the next step to build better networking results.

No comments: