Saturday 15 January 2011

Good Customer Service

It's ironic that I'm now integrating some of the stories from my Christmas travel debacle as funny stories in my training events.

Think cancelled flights, 5 days delay at Heathrow Airport, 6 hours in telephone queuing systems, cancelled hotel bookings, etc.

My tale of holiday woe even got a laugh whilst delivering my 60 second marketing presentation at last Tuesday's BNI meeting.

But here's the thing: whilst bad weather and lack of investment in dealing with it is one thing, what really upset me and I believe the vast majority of other people affected, was the poor public relations, bad customer service, and abysmal communication skills in general.

Whilst I would say that some companies, whilst still affected by the snow, delivered excellent interpersonal service with their customers,the majority did not.

This is where I come in!

I've made it my aim this year to raise awareness that good communication skills and respectful service are important in business. I want companies to banish the 'I can't be bothhered' attitude of some of its staff.

As a business communications coach it is my role to take this message to companies, and to show them techniques so that they can raise their game.

Some call the models I use lessons in common courtesy, good manners, clear and concise communication. I simply call them good business sense. With them, business grows, yet without them clients dwindle, revenue falls, and ultimately businesses fail.

As a traveller, those companies that showed me no courtesy over the Christmas period will no longer get my custom, whereas those that demonstrated good communication skills, empathy, and a 'can do' attitude have now become my go-to providers when next I need their services.

Surely, that's good business?

No comments: